Sunday, September 21, 2008

His Brother





My first painting (well, sort of) in quite some time...aside from a small experiment or two I might have done in the last few years, this is the first time I've put brush to paint in well over a decade...closer to two. I went to a Dave DeVries painting demo a few days ago at the Kustum Kulture Gallery in Baldwin, NY and I got some inspiration to attempt a painting. I had a piece of some kind of illustration board lying around that I figured I'd test out my gouache paints on. Unfortunately, what I thought was cold press illustration board was actually more like a piece of some kind of backing board, so the paint was really sopped up by it and wasn't working the way I'd have hoped. Still, I was able to move it around somewhat. as for why I say this is a painting 'sort of', it's still got lots of holding lines and only bits of modeling going on here and there....maybe it's more of a 'colored drawing'...if anything, it's an experiment and next time I'll actually get some real illustration board! I added a bit of texture to the background in Photoshop.

12 comments:

Jason Quinones said...

well whatever the hell ya wanna call it...it's still pretty damn cool looking.

great muscle-y textures and colors.

The Keeper's Notes said...

lol..thanks man!!! I'm gonna get me some real illustration board next time and we'll see what happens!

MAY-DAY said...

that story brought tears to my eyes, almost 20 years.
and it looks like your making a come back, like rocky!
and its a good start too.

The Keeper's Notes said...

Thanks, May-day! Yeh, it's ridiculous how long it's been...sad, really. Man, I went to open some of my paints and they were all dried out! Luckily I had some others I'd bought a couple of years back with the intention of actually using them!

Everybody's gotta be in a Gang said...

Yeah, real illustration board will make a difference.
Good that you're painting again.

The Keeper's Notes said...

Picked up a couple of sheets of real illustration board yesterday, so we shall see the results soon.

The Buddha Rats said...

you should be painting more. don't wait another decade, eh?

The Keeper's Notes said...

Thanks, Drew....more paintings coming along....

Glenn Byrne said...

love the paints Justin! if there's brush work involved it's painting to me! lovin the whole process showcased too!...the blueline(redline in your case), the inks, the color, the distress backgrounds! awesome work! first in a series maybe?

The Keeper's Notes said...

Thanks Frogdaddy! As for first in a series...hmm..could be, could be!

Anonymous said...

Hey Justino, not bad for your first painting in a while! I like your start to finish progress. I would've liked more cooler colors in the whole painting, since it's too red, but I think it works, actually. Good job, brother!

The Keeper's Notes said...

Thanks, Jess! I tried to bring a bit more blues into the face area, but maybe he could have used more on his body. But it's just a first attempt so hopefully they'll get better!