Monday, June 08, 2009

DARTH VADER





Here's my pretty-much-close-to-final version of Darth Vader for Josh Frost's book '100 Ways To The Dark Side'. I might do some final tweaks before I call it done.

****************************************************************************
Well, a month has gone by and I've done more than just some final tweaks. I wound up redoing certain parts, most noticeably his jawline and grill. I still see things I'd want to work on, but I need to call this one finished. While working on it, I also did a version based on a sketch posted earlier. At the bottom of this post is my original pencil sketch for the final design, that included more of Vader's body, before I decided to just concentrate on the helmet. Has it improved with all these changes? Looking at them side by side now, I see things in the first attempt that I like but also things I see have improved. A special shout out to my buddy, Bill, who spent much time helping out with feedback and ideas about the piece. Carlos and Rob deserve some props, as well, for their feedback along the way. Well, at any rate, that's enough Darth Vader for awhile!

8 comments:

Jason Quinones said...

fuckin awesome dude!

The Keeper's Notes said...

Thanks, Jason!

Jason Quinones said...

damn those ex-KHQ bastards are slacking on there commentaries lately aren't they!!!!!!!

well i just reiterate what i said earlier....

FUCKING AWESOME WORK!

The Keeper's Notes said...

lol, thanks Jason. Again! I'm actually gonna update this post - I've reworked the grill work, as well as some other changes. Should have that up very soon.

Glenn Byrne said...

count me among the ex-KHQ bastards Justin and Jason! Sorry I've been neglecting just about everything lately! Great posts Justin! The Darth final looks fantastic! I can't imagine you needing to do much more! is this being published? once again- excellent! lovin the colored background popping off the darks in his helmet!
P.S.- to Jason...I'll try and post something soon...even if it's not Bettie...

The Keeper's Notes said...

Thanks, Glenn! As you'll see the Vader you commented on was far from done! Hopefully you like the new version as well!

Yes, this is supposed to be published in a tribute book to George Lucas/Star Wars. It's going to be a self-published book and in color, size of 10"X1," I believe (at least those were the dimensions I was given to work in). Not sure when it will be publihsed, though. I've seen some of the other contributions (if you google Josh Frost '100 Ways To The Dark Side' you'll find some) and they're all great!

S.O.S. said...

There's something so hot about masks...except in horror flicks. I guess Darth Vader should be intimidating but I really kinda like it. He's rather of a turn on, in my opinion.
Love this one, Justin!! xoxo

The Keeper's Notes said...

S.O.S...I guess he's kind of got a fetishistic S&M thing going on with the mask and leather...plus that whole 'I'm Your Daddy' angle...not to mention that...
.zzzzzshhhhwwwoooooommmmphhhhfffff... poppin' to attention lightsaber.