Sunday, February 05, 2006

Robot Designs














Late this past December, I received an e-mail asking if I'd help design a robot to eventuallly be turned into a rod-puppet that would be used as a character in short films on a new website. The website is still in development and will also include reviews of movies, dvds, toys and other stuff as well as info on puppet related media. Here are some of the designs I worked on. The color ver., based on the final, approved design sketch, was done by Brad Hofbauer. Though his ver. is all gold, the final puppet will likely have black gloves and boots and accents on his face.

5 comments:

The Keeper's Notes said...

Hey Jess -

Thanks!...Actually, the 3/4 view is the ONLY one not mirrored...I did most of these over the course of a couple of days, so didn't want to spend all the extra time drawing the other side, feeling that I could get a better flow of design ideas by just concentrating on one side. I can see how some of them lack that dynamism and are naturally 'stiff' looking, but I suppose the fluidity of the drawing wasn't as much my goal as just a final look for the character. Still, I think the drawing in the final design chosen has a bit less of the stiffness inherent in some of the earlier attempts, and that just might be from doing a bunch of drawings and getting a little looser with the feel as I progressed.

Thanks as always for looking!

-Justin

Glenn Byrne said...

lovin' it!
smooth 'bots justin!
that's the patience of a saint, there...
whatta sequence to get that final look!
nice stuff
f-diddy

The Keeper's Notes said...

Datz the schizzle, F-Diddy...thanks' man!

Just tryin ta keep pace wit ya, son!

- J-dawg

Lou said...

Justino...thanks for the kind words. I'm diggin' you army of robots...very friggin' cool. Glad to be back postin'....I'm just gonna throw stuff up and see if it dticks

The Keeper's Notes said...

Thanks, Lou-ii-toowww..and we're all happy to see your stuff! Looks great...I've been slack in the updates here lately, but I've got some stuff a'comin!